Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!

I can't believe it's already 2009! It still feels like October to me! I have been here for two months now. It feels like two weeks. I know two months isn't that long but considering I lasted in Chicago for about two weeks, two months is a very long time! I am still having a fabulous time here. I love my apartment and I love exploring a new city and doing new things. This past month has been especially nice since we got a lot of time off work. I know I have been slacking on blogging but I've been very busy doing stuff and being lazy. So, here is a rundown of what I have been doing all month.

I went snowboarding. It was amazing. I sucked and I fell a lot. I busted up my knees and they were bruised for days, but it was so worth it. I want to go again. I went with a friend named Christy and her friends. She is from the States. Darcie is from Australia, Ellie is from Scotland, Nayoung is from Korea, and Tim is from South Africa. It was quite a mix of people. It was a lot of fun.Taking a beer break before night session



The night before the Christmas break, the Director, Mr. Shin, took everyone out for dinner. We went to a meat restaurant. There was so much food on the table, it was crazy. Koreans love their sides. Mostly kimchi and radish though.Gloria, Joy, Rachel, and Jules. Korean teachers

So much food!

After dinner, we went to a beer cabin and drank some more, on Mr. Shin. It was fun hanging out with all of the teachers.Christy, Jessica (my manager), Joy, Angie, Adam, Jules, and Jaqueline

John, his girlfriend, Jaqueline, Jimmie, Adam, Jules, Ben, and Me!

The next morning, Ben and I had to catch our train to Busan at 9am, it was a tough morning. Busan was pretty cool. It's on the Southern coast of Korea. During the summer, the beaches there are packed. Ben and I at Haeundae beach

We stayed in a hostel that was in a high rise apartment building.Our bunk beds, I got the top bunk

This is the view from the hostel

We went on a ferry ride around Busan.
After the ferry ride, we went to the fish market which is the biggest fish market in Korea.
You can buy fish there and take it upstairs, where they will cook it however you want it. We went to eat at Outback for Christmas dinner, it was yummy :)

Ben and I at Outback

Our Busan friends

We took the KTX train back which is the high speed train here. That was cool.

New Year's Eve was pretty low key. A few of my co-workers and I went out to dinner and then to our favorite bar, Woodstock. We drank and danced and toasted at midnight. It was a good time.

Today Ben and I went to Suwon Fortress. It's a fortress that was built by King Jeongjo in 1789. There is a palace there that was really cool to see. The fortress wall is about 5km all the way around and there are four gates along the wall. It was pretty cool.
So now I have to go back to school tomorrow after having two pretty decent little holidays. Lunar New Year is coming up at the end of the month though, so I'll have more time off then :) It's one of the biggest holidays in Korea. So, I'll sign off now, hope everyone had a great holiday and a Happy New Year! Love you all and miss everyone!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Hi Lizzie:

Just read your updates...wow! And I think we can forget about your time in Chicago!! You've made it...you're a big girl now!! I loved talking with you on your New Year's Eve and our New Year's Eve. Once I figure out how to post photos, you'll see me "toasting" you while I was talking with you, still in my pj's but up for the moment!! You've seen so much in 2 months, I cannot believe it. Good for you for taking this adventure to the limit...making the most of it. No telling what your next adventure will be. I loved seeing the pix of your Korean teachers; they seem nice and fun! And I really like Ben but Tim and David are still my fav's!! So,happy new year to you and your Korean friends....love you, miss you and am proud of you....xo Mom

BigBroPaulie said...

Hey Lizzie Happy New Year!! I'm jealous that you got to go snowboarding that sounds awesome. Shea was talking about you the other day, he wanted you to go bowling with us. I'll email you some pictures from Christmas and thanks for my gifts, the chopsticks and statues are very cool. I got an iphone and I love it, so now I'll be able to check your blog all the time now. Take care, miss you!!

Unknown said...

Just read the entire Blog Elizabeth!!!!!! I want to come and visit. It looks like you are having an amazing time!!!!!!! I need to get your address, what kind of goodies do you need???

eileen pennington said...

LizLib! wow! i just randomly decided to search you out tonight to see how you were. And wow!! What a direction you took! You look great and it must be absolutely exciting and fun to be there.

Congrats on everything!

Jennie